The rules state “The Alliance exists to further the interests of the trans community based on consensus.”
The following nine step consensus-based decision making approach will be applied:
- Members propose ideas and optionally a suggested solution or action.
- Proposed ideas and solutions are summarized and announced prior to a general meeting.
- Discussion of ideas.
- Identify emerging proposal.
- Identify any unsatisfied concerns.
- Collaboratively modify the proposal.
- Assess the degree of support.
- Finalize the decision or return to step 5.
- Continue to work with members who have objections to the position adopted so that they are not disempowered.
Obtaining unanimity in a large group of diverse individuals is extremely hard, so a super-majority of 65% will be used as the decision threshold.
Basics of Consensus Decision-Making (from consensusdecisionmaking.org)